Search Results

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Do alpha females exist in Kenya?

Today we shall discuss about Thursday's topic. Yes I know it's Sunday, but what are you going to do about it?

On Thursday, Maina and Mwalimu were talking about alpha females. Maina reckoned that an alpha female is ultra-independent and cannot stand it when a man pays for anything. Mwalimu didn't think that such a woman existed. Let's discuss.

My Human Opinion

Alpha females do exist in Kenya. But before I give you examples, let's expand on Maina's definition of alpha female. If you search the internet for alpha female you will find almost similar definitions.

The alpha, whether male or female is usually the highest ranking individual.

An alpha female is the dominant, most assertive female in a group. The alpha female unlike the alpha male is not about physical dominance. She is very intelligent, confident, strong-willed, bossy and dates any and as many men as she wants. She sets the rules in her world. Like the alpha male, she exudes sexuality. Men will do anything to be with her. But unlike the femme fatale (a dangerously seductive woman) sexuality is not her only weapon (yes it is a weapon to her) in her arsenal. In the party-scene, you can easily spot the alpha female in the group. She is the one who give executive decisions like where to go, what to drink, who to date etc.

In Kenya, and I also think in most of the world, you will find many alpha females in male-dominated arenas. And the best example is in politics. Think of the Karuas, Maathais, the Pasarises, the Ndungus, the Palins, the Clintons, and the alpharest of them all, the Thatchers.

So to answer Mwalimu, the alpha female does exist. And to Maina, the alpha female is more than just ultra-independent, but I think she wouldn't mind an alpha male paying the bill and then some. Think Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

My Biblical Opinion

Did alpha females exist in the Bible times? I think so, but the alpharism of most women in the Bible was more subtle. Of course femme fatales were there in plenty. And the most famous one was Delilah.

One alpha female who comes to mind is Jezebel. She was one if not the most wicked woman in the Bible. She ruled over her husband King Ahab and made him do the most evil things imaginable.
1 Kings 21: 25 (There was never a man like Ahab, who sold himself to do evil in the eyes of the LORD, urged on by Jezebel his wife.
26 He behaved in the vilest manner by going after idols, like the Amorites the LORD drove out before Israel.)

She was so dominant and feared that the Kings officials did anything she asked them to do. 1 Kings 21:1-11
 1 Some time later there was an incident involving a vineyard belonging to Naboth the Jezreelite. The vineyard was in Jezreel, close to the palace of Ahab king of Samaria. 2 Ahab said to Naboth, "Let me have your vineyard to use for a vegetable garden, since it is close to my palace. In exchange I will give you a better vineyard or, if you prefer, I will pay you whatever it is worth."
 3 But Naboth replied, "The LORD forbid that I should give you the inheritance of my fathers."
 4 So Ahab went home, sullen and angry because Naboth the Jezreelite had said, "I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers." He lay on his bed sulking and refused to eat.
 5 His wife Jezebel came in and asked him, "Why are you so sullen? Why won't you eat?"
 6 He answered her, "Because I said to Naboth the Jezreelite, 'Sell me your vineyard; or if you prefer, I will give you another vineyard in its place.' But he said, 'I will not give you my vineyard.' "
 7 Jezebel his wife said, "Is this how you act as king over Israel? Get up and eat! Cheer up. I'll get you the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite."
 8 So she wrote letters in Ahab's name, placed his seal on them, and sent them to the elders and nobles who lived in Naboth's city with him. 9 In those letters she wrote:
       "Proclaim a day of fasting and seat Naboth in a prominent place among the people. 10 But seat two scoundrels opposite him and have them testify that he has cursed both God and the king. Then take him out and stone him to death."
 11 So the elders and nobles who lived in Naboth's city did as Jezebel directed in the letters she had written to them.
Even the famous prophet Elijah was afraid of her.
1 Now Ahab told Jezebel everything Elijah had done and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword.
2 So Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah to say, "May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them."
3 Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, 4 while he himself went a day's journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. "I have had enough, LORD," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors." 
This is just one example of an alpha female in the Bible. But be warned all ye alpha females. Alpha females like Jezebel or Lot's elder daughter usually led others to sin, especially sexual sin; the Jezebel Spirit.

So, alpha females, it begs the question what do you use your alpharism for?

We don't know. But God does. Have a blessed Sunday and see you tomorrow.

No comments: