Search Results

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Are women of the 'red-thigh' dangerous?

Yesterday, Maina Kageni and Mwalimu Kingangi were talking about the 'red-thigh-ed' women from a story in one of the Dailies. Apparently, the men who end up with these women end up dying. So our hosts asked the all important question, 'do you believe this red thigh business?'

My Human Opinion

Honestly, I've never heard of this red-thigh business before. And even if I'd heard about it before, I would not have believed it. Thighs don't kill. Whether red, yellow, brown, black, orange, you name it, a thigh is just a thigh.

However, after a little Googling I found out that the 'red-thigh' is equivalent to 'femme-fatale' not necessarily that the thighs are red. Duh!

Anywho, the story talked about a certain woman in Laikipia county whose husbands (yes husbands) have been dying on her. Poor woman. But I don't think this is a classic case of a femme fatale.

A femme-fatale is an alluring or seductive woman, especially one who causes men to love her to their own distress. She uses her beauty and great seductive charm to exploit men and often leads them into compromising or dangerous situations.

The newspaper story, however, did not depict this woman as such. Anyway, we don't know the whole story.

So, in light of this new information about the 'red-thigh', my answer to our hosts would be yes, there are fatal women who exist. However, their 'fatality' is not witchcraft/spell etc as depicted. Their fatality is that they use the lust of men to lead men into often deadly sin(s).

But can the femme fatale use sorcery? Yes, they definitely can.

My Biblical Opinion

The classic femme fatale of the Bible was one Delilah. She who nagged Samson to death, literally.

(BTW, in the newspaper story, there is a certain pastor who said that there is no example of a 'red-thigh' woman in the Bible. I just wonder which Bible he meant)

Here is the story of Samson-lover-boy and Delilah, from Judges 16:4-21
4 Some time later, he fell in love with a woman in the Valley of Sorek whose name was Delilah. 5 The rulers of the Philistines went to her and said, "See if you can lure him into showing you the secret of his great strength and how we can overpower him so we may tie him up and subdue him. Each one of us will give you eleven hundred shekels [a] of silver."
 6 So Delilah said to Samson, "Tell me the secret of your great strength and how you can be tied up and subdued."
 7 Samson answered her, "If anyone ties me with seven fresh thongs [b] that have not been dried, I'll become as weak as any other man."
 8 Then the rulers of the Philistines brought her seven fresh thongs that had not been dried, and she tied him with them. 9 With men hidden in the room, she called to him, "Samson, the Philistines are upon you!" But he snapped the thongs as easily as a piece of string snaps when it comes close to a flame. So the secret of his strength was not discovered.
 10 Then Delilah said to Samson, "You have made a fool of me; you lied to me. Come now, tell me how you can be tied."
 11 He said, "If anyone ties me securely with new ropes that have never been used, I'll become as weak as any other man."
 12 So Delilah took new ropes and tied him with them. Then, with men hidden in the room, she called to him, "Samson, the Philistines are upon you!" But he snapped the ropes off his arms as if they were threads.
 13 Delilah then said to Samson, "Until now, you have been making a fool of me and lying to me. Tell me how you can be tied."
      He replied, "If you weave the seven braids of my head into the fabric on the loom and tighten it with the pin, I'll become as weak as any other man." So while he was sleeping, Delilah took the seven braids of his head, wove them into the fabric 14 and tightened it with the pin.
      Again she called to him, "Samson, the Philistines are upon you!" He awoke from his sleep and pulled up the pin and the loom, with the fabric.
 15 Then she said to him, "How can you say, 'I love you,' when you won't confide in me? This is the third time you have made a fool of me and haven't told me the secret of your great strength." 16 With such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was tired to death.
 17 So he told her everything. "No razor has ever been used on my head," he said, "because I have been a Nazirite set apart to God since birth. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man."
 18 When Delilah saw that he had told her everything, she sent word to the rulers of the Philistines, "Come back once more; he has told me everything." So the rulers of the Philistines returned with the silver in their hands. 19 Having put him to sleep on her lap, she called a man to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him.
 20 Then she called, "Samson, the Philistines are upon you!"
      He awoke from his sleep and thought, "I'll go out as before and shake myself free." But he did not know that the LORD had left him.
 21 Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding in the prison. 

And finally, for those who think witchcraft/sorcery is an idea, consider this warnings
Deut 18:10
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft,
2 Chronicles 33: 1-6
1 Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-five years. 2 He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites. 3 He rebuilt the high places his father Hezekiah had demolished; he also erected altars to the Baals and made Asherah poles. He bowed down to all the starry hosts and worshiped them. 4 He built altars in the temple of the LORD, of which the LORD had said, "My Name will remain in Jerusalem forever." 5 In both courts of the temple of the LORD, he built altars to all the starry hosts. 6 He sacrificed his sons in the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger
  Be on 'red' alert.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Bible has warned against the Israelites practising sorcery but it does not rule out sorcery is there. Red thigh is not sorcery. It is a misfortune that befall a lady. consider
Tobias 3:7-10
7 Now it happened on the same day, that Sara daughter of Raguel, in Rages a city of the Medes, received a reproach from one of her father's servant maids, 8 Because she had been given to seven husbands, and a devil named Asmodeus had killed them, at their first going in unto her. 9 So when she reproved the maid for her fault, she answered her, saying: May we never see son, or daughter of thee upon the earth, thou murderer of thy husbands. 10 Wilt thou kill me also, as thou hast already killed seven husbands? At these words she went into an upper chamber of her house: and for three days and three nights did neither eat nor drink: 11 But continuing in prayer with tears besought God, that he would deliver her from this reproach.